Exclusive Focus on Family Law
At Brooke & Brady, LLP, 100 percent of our practice is devoted to helping Dutchess County clients resolve family law issues. Our clients are often trying to achieve a complex set of objectives. Contact us for help with any of the following issues:
Divorce and Separation
- Contested divorce: If there are unresolved issues in your divorce, we can help you understand your rights and options.
- Collaborative divorce: We fully support collaborative divorce as an alternative, out-of-court option for divorcing couples.
- Uncontested divorce: We can help you quickly and cost effectively complete a divorce if you and your spouse have no issues in dispute.
- Separation agreements: If you and your spouse are separating, you can protect your rights with a formal separation agreement.
- High net worth divorce: We have experience in high net worth cases where complex property division issues may arise.
Custody, Support and Property Division
- Child support: Children in New York have a right to child support. We can help you get a fair determination or enforce a judgment.
- Alimony/spousal maintenance: In some family law cases, the court will find that one spouse is entitled to temporary or permanent support.
- Child custody and visitation: New York law prioritizes the best interests of the child and will try to reach a resolution involving both parents. Grandparents’ rights: In New York, grandparents have a right to visitation with their grandchildren in certain circumstances and can enforce this right in court.
- Post-judgment enforcement and modification: We are here for you when legal action is needed after the divorce or other judgment is final.
- Equitable distribution of property: We will explain New York’s laws for property division in divorce and make the case for your desired outcome. We have experience with a wide range of property division issues, including divorce cases with significant assets, retirement account issues, marital asset vs. separate asset disputes, divorce involving a family business or professional degree, and tax consequences of a divorce.
Additional Family Law Issues
- Paternity: Unmarried parents have both legal rights and legal responsibilities — we can help you assert your interests.
- Guardianship: If you are the family member of a child whose parents are unfit, you may be able to intervene and obtain guardianship.
- Domestic violence: We can help you protect yourself against violence or defend yourself against false domestic violence allegations and focus on tour family’s security.
- Social Services and Child Protective Services proceedings: If you are threatened with losing or have lost your children, you need a lawyer right away.
- Prenuptial/post-nuptial agreements: We have extensive experience in the drafting and review of prenuptial agreements and post-nuptial agreements.
- Relocation to a new area with children: Relocation disputes can be very contentious. Let our attorneys advise you of your rights and obligations before making any decisions that could negatively influence your custody or visitation rights.
- Modification of child custody: If you are seeking a change of custody, you must demonstrate a change of circumstances since the custody order was determined. We can review your case and help you make an informed decision about how best to proceed.
- Joint custody: In New York, joint custody may mean a 50/50 parenting-time split, but it can also mean a 70/30 split, 90/10 split or any other combination. New York law favors a child’s ability to have an ongoing relationship with both parents after a divorce.
Our law office is located in Poughkeepsie, New York. If you have a family law case or concern, don’t hesitate to contact us to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our experienced attorneys.